Four Year Checklist
First and Second Year Career Goals
Goal 1: Get familiar with campus activities, organizations, and resources.
- Visit Freshman Programs at www.fullerton.edu/freshmanprograms
- Dean of Students Office - find ways to get involved on-campus at www.fullerton.edu/deanofstudents.
- Become familiar with on-campus or national associations and clubs by visiting the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) desk for more information at TSU-247 (657) 278-7622
- Activate your Titan Connection profile
- Login to your student portal
- Click on Career Center
- Set your Career Center profile and preferences (answer 7 questions)
- The Titan Connection jobs database allows you to search for part-time and full-time jobs, internships, community service & volunteer opportunities, student assistant positions, and federal work study opportunities.
- Visit the Academic Advising Center UH-123 or online at www.fullerton.edu/aac
Goal 2: Conduct a self-assessment to help you with your career planning.
- Undecided or undeclared about a major or career? Consider taking an online assessment through the career center at www.fullerton.edu/career
- The Myers Briggs Type Indicator assesses personality traits and links them to related careers
- The Strong Interest Inventory assesses interests and links them to related careers
- Conduct your own self-exploration. Ask yourself "What are my interests, strengths, motivations, goals, values, and career aspirations?"
- Meet with a Career Development Specialist in the Career Center
- Consider enrolling in the Counseling 252: Career and Life Planning class
Goal 3: Explore majors
- Visit the Major Exploration Center offered through the Academic Advisement Center in UH-124 www.fullerton.edu/aac
- Utilize the undeclared students resources at the Academic Ad- visement Center, or visit them at www.fullerton.edu/aac/Undeclared_Students
- Review CSUF catalog/majors
- Enroll in an introductory course of the major(s) you are exploring
- Meet with an academic advisor, faculty member, or a career center industry specialist to discuss the academic field you are exploring
- Attend workshops through the Career Center and Academic Advising Center
- Speak with Assistant Deans of the college in which you are interested
Goal 4: Explore careers
- Visit the Career Center located in Langsdorf Hall (LH-208)
- Explore "What Can I Do With This Major" www.fullerton.edu/career.
- Utilize the Eureka Database (available only at the CSUF Career Center computer lab).
- Ferguson's online Career Guidance Database at www.fullerton.edu/career.
- Occupational Network Database at http://online.onetcenter.org.
- Use the Career Center Library to explore different careers you are considering
- Conduct an Informational Interview with professionals in your field of interest
- Utilize "Major to Career Resources" through the Academic Advisement Center at www.fullerton.edu/aac.
Third and Fourth Year Career Goals
Goal 1: Declare a major if you have not done so.
- Be sure to declare your major by 60 units to avoid registration holds
Goal 2: Begin developing career preparation.
- Fergusons Career Guidance Database-accessible from the CSUF Career Center website www.fullerton.edu/career
- Occupational Network Database at online.onetcenter.org
- America's Career INFO-NET at www.acinet.org/acinet
- Set up informational interviews with professionals in your field of interest
- Meet with CSUF Career Center industry specialists
- Build your résumé with Titan Résumé Builder by visiting www.fullerton.edu/career
- Join clubs/associations related to your preferred career/industry/major
- Consider volunteering to develop leadership skills and additional experience
- Develop leadership skills through courses, on-campus activi- ties, clubs and organizations and through the Student Leader- ship Institute offered on-campus
- Consider Internships to gain related experience
- Consider graduate and professional school, and begin preparing for the application process by speaking to professors and industry specialists and researching graduate schools
Goal 3: Gain related experience and begin planning for life after graduation
- Land an internship opportunity on the Titan Connection Jobs Database
- Attend Career Center Events offered each semester
- Attend conferences and related workshops offered on- and off-campus
- Schedule an in-person mock interview or practice your interview skills with InterviewStream at www.fullerton.edu/career
- Begin networking with professionals in your industry, colleagues, friends, family, alumni, professors, co-workers, clubs and organizations, professional associations, recruiters, and people in your field of interest
- Begin your job search or graduate school process