What can I do with this degree?
Afro-Ethnic Studies, Asian American Studies, Chicana/Chicano Studies, Latin American Studies
- Political Analyst
- Officer of Federal Agency
- Campaign Director
- Local/National Politician
- Federal Program Director
- Official Appointee
- Legislative Analyst
- Law Clerk
- Elementary Teacher
- High School Teacher
- University Professor
- Curriculum Writer
- Real Estate Developer
- Marketing Agent
- Newspaper Columnist
- News reporter
- Speech writer
- Elementary, middle school, high school and college professors
- School districts seeking multiple subject elementary and junior high teachers
- High Schools who are seeking history or government teachers
- Universities who need full time or part American studies/ American History/ American Government Professors.
- In order to teach, you must pursue a teaching credential for the K-12 sector
- At the university level, you must obtain a PhD in a specific discipline and attempt to publish your research.
- Policy writing
- Lawyer Judge
- U.S National courts
- Private law firms
- Public interest lobby groups
- Non-profit organizations
- In order to practice, you must have a J.D from an accredited ABA school and take the Bar exam
- In order to become a paralegal you must complete courses for a paralegal certificate.
- Assisting political officials with agenda items, national security, political lobbying.
- Federal Agencies such as the CIA, FBI or any other security branch
- Offices of local or national officials such as congressmen, representatives or the President
- Non-profit public interest groups.
- Research application deadlines
- Attend any information sessions that the agencies hold for recruitment.
- News reporting
- News writing
- Speech writing.
- News and television stations
- Political officials.
- Become an intern
- In order to apply for a position as a news anchor you must submit a demo tape for an audition
- In regard to print media, you should create a writing portfolio to submit for employment.
- Financial planning
- Public relations
- Corporate business companies (private and public)
- Secure some type of business experience through class assignments, or part time work
- Build a strong resume that highlights your transferable skills.
Student Clubs/National Organizations
- American Studies Student Association- http://hss.fullerton.edu/amst/assa/
- Californian American Studies Association http://hss.fullerton.edu/amst/assa/
- http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos055.htm Occupational Outlook Handbook (Economist/ Marketing Analyst)
- www.jobs.irs.gov Internal Revenue Service
- www.usajobs.gov Federal Government Jobs
Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of
Tennessee, Knoxville. (2007)
UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA Employer